Imagine receiving a monthly bill for groceries, that just has a total for the month on it. Wouldn't you want to know where you spent that money to budget better? Or pay for it at your own pace throughout the month instead of having one large bill?
Now, you can pay for electricity how and when you choose, the same way you buy groceries
Purchasing electricity before you use it gives you more flexibility and control. It allows you to control your budget and pay the amount you want, when you want. Plus, there are no security deposits or late fees.
For more information about Morgan County REA’s prepay service, or to sign up for the program, call MCREA’s billing department at (970) 867-5688 or stop by MCREA headquarters at 734 Barlow Road in Fort Morgan.
There are some frequently asked questions about Morgan County Rural Electric Association’s new pre-paid meter service available now to current and future MCREA members:
Prepaid metering is a “pay as you go” metering program for MCREA residential service only. You pay in advance for the electricity you will be using.
- Do you get paid once a month at a time that doesn't match when your electric bill is due?
- Do you get paid every Friday?
- Do you get paid twice each month?
- Would four smaller bills be easier to pay than one large one?
- Could you manage your budget better if you could choose when your electric bill was due?
- Are you lacking money for a security deposit?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, the prepay billing option may be the right choice for you.
There are many ways you can keep your prepay balance up to date, such as:
- Pay online and have the ability to monitor your prepay balance, your estimated days of service remaining, and track your energy use at Pay my Bill/View Usage.
- Free SmartHub app available to IOS and Android devices.
- Call 877-495-6487 to make a credit card, debit card, or check payment by phone.
- Pay in person at Morgan County REA headquarters during regular office hours.
- Mail your payment to P.O. Box 738; Fort Morgan, CO 80701.
Yes, once you reach a credit balance of $35.00 or below you are notified by email and/or text message.
That is up to you. Payments may be made daily, weekly or monthly as long as a credit balance is maintained.
You are responsible for notifying MCREA of any changes to contact information and for checking your prepaid balance.
Power will be disconnected once your account no longer has a credit. Disconnects will be immediate and without further notification. Inclement weather does not prevent disconnection.
Payment will need to be made in order to have a minimum of a $35.00 credit balance.
No reconnect fees are associated with prepaid.
Prepay accounts that are disconnected and do not become active within 10 days will be considered inactive.
No, the billing rate is the same as the standard residential rate.
Prepaid is billed and updated daily at 10:00 am. You will not receive a monthly billing statement.
$100 minimum credit balance to start prepaid, plus a $5 membership fee (if not a current member).
Payments will be applied once received by MCREA. Assistance pledges will not be accepted to keep the service active. (LEAP Applicants are not eligible for prepaid metering)
Yes. MCREA will require full payment and deposit (based on your credit) as a condition of continued service.